Where and How to Begin
Begin your “Lights on Macon, an Illuminated Tour” at Hay House, 934 Georgia Avenue, #1 or 1842 Inn at 353 College Street. Except on occasions when a special event is held there, you should be able to park your car on the street in front of Hay House or at the 1842 Inn. Look for the distinctive gray and black signs which designate the stops, and refer to the map on the back of this brochure. Brief information about the architecture and history of each house on the tour is included within these pages, and this material is number-coordinated with the signs. Feel free to stop on the sidewalk in front of the any building on the tour route, whether or not it is part of “Lights on Macon” but please keep in mind that many of these houses are residences and homeowners’ privacy should be respected. Download the tour map.
1. 934 Georgia Ave. – Italian Renaissance Revival Style – c. 1855-60
The Johnston Felton Hay House is one of two National Historic Landmarks in Macon. Designed by New York City architect T. Thomas, it was built for William B. Johnston who was Depositary of the Treasury during the Civil War. He filled the 16,000 sq. ft. residence with many fine furnishings and art work. Notice the Corinthian-columned piazza topped by a cast iron serpentine balustrade, the opposing symmetrical wings with clerestory windows, the ocular windows accented by decorative iron grilles and the three-level octagonal cupola. The Johnston heirs sold the property in the 1920s to P. L. Hay, who also added to the collection of antique furniture and porcelains. The Hay heirs donated the property in the 1970s to the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation which now operates it as a house museum.
2. 964 Georgia Avenue – Queen Anne Style – c. 1905
This building was constructed on property which was at one time part of the Johnston
Felton Hay House tract and is a fine example of the Queen Anne style with Classic Revival detailing. Note the terra-cotta tile roof, brick and marble exterior, the bay window, recessed arched doorway and detailed windows.
3. 1074 Georgia Ave. – Federal Style with Victorian details – c. 1831
One of the oldest homes in Macon, this residence has been altered and enlarged many times but retains its symmetrical Federal floor plan. Delightful Victorian embellishments include a one-story front porch and bay window. Among its 22 rooms is a modern two-story glass solarium in the rear. This house was originally owned by James A. Ralston whose family enterprise, Ralston Hall, was Macon’s best theater for much of the 19th century. In 1890 Alonzo D. Schofield, one of the founders of Schofield Iron Works, bought the property and it remained in the family for more than 80 years. His daughter, Miss Gladys Schofield, was a talented landscape architect who studied in France. The grounds retain much of her design and original plantings.
4. 1085 Georgia Ave. – Queen Anne Style –- c. 1887
This residence is one of the finest examples of Queen Anne-style architecture in Macon, with its use of multiple textural features and architectural elements including a slate roof, stained glass, terra-cotta detailing, turrets and gables. Neel Reid made an addition to the rear prior to World War I. Notice the fine carriage house at the rear of the property.
5. 1144 Georgia Avenue – Second Empire Style – c. 1884
This distinctive townhouse showcases the delightful juxtaposition of fish-scaled, multi-colored slate, stone stringing, quoins, delicate wrought iron and salmon-colored brick. Notice the mansard roof, a distinctive roof style designed by the 17th century French architect, Francois Mansard. The house was built by the owner of a carriage and farm machinery business, and his family lived here for more than 50 years.
6. 1183 Georgia Ave. – Greek Revival Style – c. 1848
One of two National Historic Landmark houses in Macon, this residence is built in the style of a modified Greek cross with a central rotunda featuring a spiral staircase that ascends to the octagonal cupola. The main rooms feature windows on three sides for maximum ventilation, important in the days before central air conditioning. Its plans are on file in the Library of Congress.
7. 397 College St. – Italian Villa Style – c. 1885
Originally a brick Queen Anne–style residence, this residence was redesigned on both the exterior and interior by Macon-born architect Neel Reid after his return from study in Europe. From 1924-27 it was owned by Wesleyan College and served as the president’s house during that time. A later owner operated a Vapobath business here in the late 1920s with steam cabinets occupying several of the rooms in the basement. Notice the fine ironwork gates, 21st century additions that complement the Neel Reid-designed ironwork balconies on the second floor.
8. 381 College Street – Classic Revival – c. 1910
Even though there were many brickyards in Macon during the late 19th century, most residences had a frame construction; brick was used mostly for commercial buildings. This fine frame house has brick veneer. Notice the elegant Corinthian capitals.
9. 373 College Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1900
Built in the late Queen Anne style, this house features fine beveled and leaded glass, double columns on the front porch and an asymmetrical floor plan. One of its early owners was associated with the Macon Brunswick Navigation Company at the time the Ocmulgee River was navigable down to the Georgia coast. Notice the white marble door and window surrounds.
10. 315 College Street – Classic Revival – c. 1860
Originally designed in the Italianate style with eave brackets and a balustraded one-story porch, it was remodeled in 1901 when 19 sheet metal-covered columns and a decorative frieze were added on three sides. There are no windows on the right side of the front façade because a grand staircase and fireplace are placed against that wall.
11. 348 College Street – Queen Anne with Classic Revival details – c. 1886
This house was built by a well-known local cotton merchant. In 1910 his son inherited the house and undertook renovations in the Classic Revival style. The original cupola was removed and the balustraded porches were enlarged to create one wrap-around porch supported by Georgia marble columns with ceramic capitals. The beveled glass doors, also a 1910 addition, are especially noteworthy.
12. 340 College St. – Classic Revival Style – c. 1908
This house was built by George Turpin, replacing an earlier house on this site. Later it was owned by J. Freeman Hart, Jr., owner of Harts Mortuary and a founding member of the Middle Georgia Historical Society. He bought several early houses in the 1960s in the College Street area to save them from demolition.
13. 334 College Street – Italianate Style – c. 1840
This residence retains many of its Italianate details including double eave brackets and low-pitched roof. Later additions include the fine French doors with arched transoms and also the double columns. Notice the decorative fan lights and sidelights.
14. 331 College Street – Italianate Style – c. 1840
This house is a restrained example of the bracketed, Italian-style villa that was popular in early Victorian times. It is one of very few early houses on College Street that has not undergone architectural alteration. The house has a sweeping verandah – a feature that well-served Southern homes as an outdoor living room. Records show that the massive front door was hand-carved in New England and shipped to Macon by steamer.
14A 312 College Street – Classic Revival Style – c. 1879
Between 1895 and 1908 this house was altered from a two-story residence with a one-story porch and one-story extension at the right front. The gable and Italianate eave brackets can still be seen. The façade became two stories and the existing front porch was added.
15. 303 College St. – Queen Anne Style – c. 1892
This residence has retained its original design and floor plan including the wrap-around porch. Notice the round turret with leaded window panes rising from the front façade.
15A. 306 College Street – Classic Revival Style – c. 1878
This residence originally had a one-story porch located at the right of the front entry. The two-story portico was added after 1946. Notice the fine transom and side lights at the front door and the well-detailed angular bay window at left.
16. 285 College Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1854
This house’s gabled roof and asymmetrical floor plan are typical of the Queen Anne style. In 1894 it featured a bay window on the front façade, but records show this was removed in a substantial remodeling by architect Neel Reid in 1908. Note the fine sunburst detail in the gabled section above the front steps and the wraparound porch shaded by Deodar cedars.
17. 275 College Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1880
This extraordinary house is unusual because it was built of patterned masonry instead of the wood used for most Queen Anne-style houses. Note the sunburst ornament in the upper pediment, the elaborate woodcut ornamentation in the lower pediment and the delicately turned porch columns.
17A 261 College Street – Italianate Style – c. 1860
When this house was built the lot was larger and was later subdivided to provide room for two additional houses located at the left of this property. Elements of the Italianate style include the double eave brackets, arched windows and side porches with arched supports. The fine front entry includes an arched transom below a balustrade on the second-floor balcony.
18. 294 College Street – Tudor Revival Bungalow – c. 1920
This bungalow replaced an earlier structure on this site. Typical of the bungalow style is the front porch incorporated into the roof structure of the house. The decorative half-timbers are reminiscent of exposed structural beams found on early Tudor-style buildings in Europe during the Middle Ages.
19. 264 College St. – Late Victorian Style – c. 1920-24
This residence replaced an earlier house on this property. However, it may incorporate a portion of the earlier structure because the outline of another staircase in the front room of the present house was uncovered during rehabilitation. Notice the decorative appliqué above the front door.
20. 245 College Street – Mediterranean Villa Style – c. 1900
Notice the hipped, tiled roof, elaborate eave brackets, arched entry and sweeping terraces, all typical of the Mediterranean Villa style. Marble detailing surrounds the door and windows.
21. 244 College St. – Classic Revival Style – c. 1908
Built as a residence for John C. Holmes, the owner of a candy factory. Later it was the headquarters for the Pilot Club International, a civic organization for executive and business women, which was founded in Macon in 1921 and now has clubs in North America and several foreign countries. It was returned to residential use in 2006. Notice the embossed metal frieze and finely carved columns with Corinthian capitals. The interior features a fine stained glass window and beautiful parquet flooring.
22. 260 Orange Street (Corner of Bond and Orange Streets) – Queen Anne Style – c. 1900
This is a fine example of the Queen Anne stick style with an intricately-detailed wrap around porch, high gabled roof, tall brick chimneys and asymmetrical façade.
22A. 1116 Bond Street – Arts and Crafts Style – c. 1910
This brick residence, designed by Neel Reid, well-known Georgia architect, replaced an earlier frame house that faced Orange Street. It was built for Mrs. Everett Coleman, whose husband was an insurance agent with Cabaniss, Walker, Coleman and Hatcher. Notice the well-defined portico and second-story window box.
23 & 24. 1081 and 1087 Bond Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1911
These residences were built during the post Victorian period. Their exteriors feature the asymmetrical floor plan and porches typical of the Queen Anne style. Beveled and leaded glass was used frequently during this period, and the manufacture of large panes of glass was perfected during this era. (Prior to the early 20th Century, most windows featured multiple glass panes). Note the fine glass surrounds at the entries of these houses and the diamond-shaped panes in the dormer windows.
25. 1069 Bond Street – Queen Anne – c. 1870
This early frame cottage has typical Queen Anne features such as the fine bay window beneath a peak and a small-columned porch on the right front which shades the house’s tall windows.
26. Woodruff House’s Bond Street Wall
This high brick wall encloses the rear area of the woodruff House property. The
grounds include a small building that was once a carriage house.
26A. 1019 Bond Street – Queen Anne – c. 1880
Queen Anne cottages are to be found throughout the Macon Historic District. This residence was once part of the Bond property. Notice the angular bay with Italianate eave brackets and the delicate porch columns.
27. 988 Bond Street – Greek Revival – c. 1836-1840
One of Macon’s most impressive houses, it was designed by master builder Elam Alexander. It is beautifully positioned on the crown of the hill overlooking Macon and the Ocmulgee River. For this magnificent site, Alexander designed a Greek temple with 18 Doric columns forming a colonnade on three sides. Joseph Bond, who bought the house in 1848, later added the flanking wings, as well as the upper balcony and a new doorway. In 1877 a grand Confederate reunion ball was held in the house by its owners, the Colemans, for ex-confederate President Jefferson Davis and his family. The delightful gazebo of Oriental design and Moorish detailing was added during the Victorian Period – a time when exploration of the Middle and Far East influenced architecture.
27A. 1013 Bond Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1881-84
This Queen Anne-style residence has a commanding view over downtown Macon and Coleman Hill Park. It was originally part of the Bond property which was sold and sub-divided in 1872. Notice the timber detailing, multiple windows in the angular bay and the finely carved double front doors.
28. 1025 Bond Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1897
Note the delightful front porch. In this warm climate, much use was made of exterior “rooms” before the advent of air conditioning. Many Queen Anne cottages found in the Macon Historic District were built for employees of the burgeoning railroad industry and cotton trade.
29. 1105 Bond Street – Second Empire Style – c. 1865
This house with a protruding bay window at left and fine wraparound porch at right, has a mansard roof embellished with double brackets, showing its Second Empire origins with Queen Anne details. The front porch was enlarged and a dormer was removed after 1910.
29A 1125 Bond Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1892
This house is a fine example of the Queen Anne style with its asymmetrical floor plan, shingle work, stained glass and expansive wrap-around porch. Notice the fine detailing in the front-facing gables.
30. 276 College Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1890
This finely-detailed Queen Anne house with slate roof, wraparound porch with turned balusters and unusual molded wood decoration was built by George Duncan who was president of the Cumberland Island Company. His wife Caroline was the daughter of William B. Johnston, builder of the Johnston Felton Hay House. The interiors feature fine parquet flooring, wainscoting and a large stained glass window.
30A 1167 Bond Street – Late Victorian Style – c. 1903
This residence is typical of the late Victorian houses built in the Macon Historic District at the turn of the century. Notice the sunburst motif in the front-facing gable and the use of diamond-shaped window panes. The wrap-around porch is balanced by an angular two-story bay at right.
31. 535 College St. – Queen Anne Style – c. 1854
This charming cottage has had some alterations to the front façade including the projecting bay which was added c. 1870. The iron gates at the driveway came from Rose Hill Cemetery.
32. 547 College Street – Greek Revival Style – c. 1860
This early house originally had a two-story porch and basement windows. The porch and solid brick foundation were added in the 20th century. Those windows are still located in the basement behind the brick foundation. The rooms at the left side are also a later addition.
33. 562 College St. – Classic Revival – c. 1905
Architect Curran Ellis designed this house for Merrel P. Callaway. It was purchased in 1919 by James Hyde Porter, cotton mill owner and philanthropist, for whom architect Neel Reid redesigned the interior.
33A. 575 College Street – Queen Anne Style – c.1875
This residence was built by T. U. Conner who was superintendent of Academy for the Blind
which was located across the street. Note the well-defined central cupola and pairs of double windows. The original Victorian front porch has been removed.
34. 578 College St. – Classic Revival – c. 1908
This house was built on part of the former Academy for the Blind property by the widow of Robert H. Plant who had been President of the First National Bank in Macon and Manager of the New York Life Insurance Company.
35. 589 College St. – Queen Anne Style – c. 1896
This house was built by James LeConte Anderson, cousin of the Georgia poet, Sidney Lanier.
36. 596 College St. – Federal Revival Style – c. 1910
This residence was designed by architect Neil Reid. The property had previously been part of the Academy for the Blind.
37. 618 College Street – Late Victorian Style – c. 1909
Leon Dure, President of Dure & Coburn Company, general insurers, and treasurer of The Realty Company, built this house adjacent to a side street, later named after him. At the right side near the rear notice the fine cast iron fence, originally located on the Academy for the Blind property.
38. 619 College St. – Beaux Arts Style – c. 1901
This large residence was built by Wallace E. McCaw, whose company developed a vegetable shortening which came to be known as Crisco. Alexander Blair, a member of a well-known family of Macon architects, supplied the original plans and those for a later addition at the left rear. Later the property was purchased by Jordan Massee, president of the Bibb Brick Company, who also built the Massee Apartments on College Street. Originally the house featured balustrades on the widow’s walk and on the porch roof and decking. Note the fine stonework and leaded glass windows.
39. 626 College St. – Italianate Style – c. 1872
This residence, originally owned by the president of a local bank and later by Judge Alexander Miller, once featured a cupola on the roof and a bay window at the right front.
40. 644 College St. – Victorian Style – c. 1916
One of the owners of this house was General Walker A. Harris, a Native American authority, who was instrumental in having the Indian Mounds at Ocmulgee Fields listed as a National Monument. A plaque noting this effort is located at the Ocmulgee National Monument. General Harris’ father was Governor of Georgia from 1916-18.
41. 647- 675 College St. – c. 1928
These four small houses replaced two large Italianate antebellum mansions once owned by the Nutting and Plant families. Built prior to 1863, they were similar in style to the Johnson Felton Hay House.
42. 718 College St. -Arts and Crafts Style – c. 1911
Designed by Macon architect Neel Reid, this cottage was one of a number of houses built by the Roberts family, relatives of the architect, at the corner of College and Forsyth Streets. Descendants of the family lived here until 2006. The Gustave Stickley firm provided some of the hardware used in the residence. The interior features several built-in bookcases and cabinets designed by the architect.
43. 730 College St. – Tudor Revival Style – c. 1910
Now the headquarters of the Federated Garden Clubs of Macon, this building was designed by architect Neel Reid for the Joseph N. Neel family. The house retains original furnishings, fixtures and fine paneling. It is open for tours and rentals.
44, 45 & 46. 753 College St. – Gothic Romanesque Style – c. 1884
The first St. Paul’s Episcopal Church building was located west of the present building in a former brick railroad car shed near the tracks formerly used by the Atlanta and Western Railroad. That site is now occupied by St. Paul’s Apartments. Bricks and the round stained glass window from the original building were incorporated into the present church building which was designed by architect John J. Nevitt of Savannah, Ga. Two documented Tiffany glass memorial windows are located on either side of the altar.
The rectory, built, c. 1910, is located to left of the church. Next to the rectory is the parish house, formerly the Appleton Church Home, built c. 1870 as a home for Civil War Orphans and named in honor of William H. Appleton, a New York publisher, who donated $12,500 for its construction. The church acquired the building in 1925 when the children were moved to larger quarters on Forest Hill Avenue.
47. 756 College Street – Federal Revival Style – c.1908
This residence replaced an earlier house located on this lot. One of the early owners was Joseph B. Riley, vice president of the Lamar Taylor & Riley Drug Company, formerly located downtown on Cherry Street.
48. 781 College St. – Queen Anne Style – c. 1887
This property was originally part of the Appleton Church Home. The lot was sold c. 1887 to William Snowden, a cotton broker, who built this fine structure. Formerly an art gallery, it is once again a private residence.
49. 811 College St. – Late Victorian Style – c. 1910
Aurel Mayer Erwin, president of the Macon Grocery Company, lived here in the early part of the 20th century. All the houses in this block were originally part of the Appleton Church Home property. Originally the house featured a wraparound porch, part of which has now been enclosed. The house features two fine stained glass windows.
50. 855 College Street – Late Victorian Style – c. 1909
Robert W. Jemison and his family built and lived in this house from 1909 until c. 1939. During World War II it was converted to two apartments. It has a large front porch and gabled roofline, both typical of the late Victorian style.
51. 885 College Street – Queen Anne Style – c.1890
Early owners of this property included a dentist named William Ford and John Boifeuillet, Editor of the Macon News. Notice the fine shingle work in the gable and the large two-story porch with turned balusters.
52. 1001 College St. – Late Queen Anne Style – c. 1908
Built for J. D. McMurray, a clerk at Dannenberg’s Department Store formerly located at Third and Poplar Streets.
53. 1005 College St. – Late Victorian Style – c .1908
An early resident of this house was Rev. Dugald McLaughlin, pastor of Tatnall Square Presbyterian Church located at College and Oglethorpe Streets.
54. 1021 College St. – Queen Anne Style – c. 1887
Built by the Carstarphen family who lived here until c. 1970. T. J. Carstarphen was president of the Carstarphen Warehouse Company, wholesale grocers.
55. 1095 College St. – Queen Anne Style – c. 1888
Much of this block was originally owned by the Daly family. In 1908 Herman Hertwig, chief clerk of the Macon, Dublin and Savannah Railroad, lived here with his family. Note the fine wraparound porch.
56. 1270 Ash St. – Queen Anne Style – c. 1850
The Lee Alumni House was originally a one-story cottage. The second story was added years later. One of the earliest owners was Judge Charles Bartlett, a Superior Court judge and United States Congressman. During Bartlett’s ownership in 1909 President Taft delivered a speech from the porch to Mercer students, faculty and Macon citizens. In 1961 the house was rehabilitated for use as Mercer University’s Alumni House and named after Dr. W. G. Lee, a Mercer University alumnus and member of the Board of Trustees.
57. 1180 Washington Avenue – Beaux Arts Style – c. 1923
Funds to build the Washington Memorial Library were donated in memory of Hugh Vernon Washington by his sister. In addition to a reading room and lending library, it also houses a fine genealogical and archives collection.
57A. 468 Orange Street – c. 1878-81 – Queen Anne Style
The property on which this charming cottage was built was originally owned by the Tracy family whose house still stands at the corner of Orange and Magnolia Streets. It was sold by Harriett Tracy to Georgia Snyder in 1881; however, she is shown as living on Orange Street near Magnolia in 1878.
58. 586 Orange Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1889
This house with its finely detailed wrap-around front porch and asymmetrical floor plan, both typical of the Queen Anne Style, has been the residence of two mayors of Macon. The Allman Brothers lived here c. 1970 and gave a concert to raise the initial capital for Historic Macon Foundation’s revolving fund. It was also the site of Historic Macon’s first Decorators’ Showcase in 1978.
59. 619 Orange Street – Queen Anne Style – c.1880
Built by widow Mary Wiley Fort for her son and mother, this was originally an Italianate-style residence with a bay window and narrow front porch. It was remodeled between 1895 and 1908 in the Queen Anne Style with an enlarged front porch featuring fluted Corinthian columns and turned railings. The bay window was replaced with the current oversized parlor window and transom. The Broadus Willingham family, who owned the house between 1887 and 1890, planted the large oaks. They also planted some of the larger trees in the park.
60. 630 Orange Street – Late Victorian Style – c. 1899
This residence was built on part of the adjacent Anderson property for their daughter Annie when she married John McKay. Typical of the Late Victorian style are the paired columns, well-defined doorway and large-paned windows.
61. 642 Orange Street – Italian Villa Style – c. 1859
Typical of the style is the prominent tower with round-headed windows. Notice the pedimented window headers and the arched portico leading to an arched fanlight above the doorway. The house was built by Judge Clifford Anderson, who was a member of the Confederate Congress in Richmond, Virginia, was the uncle of the poet Sidney Lanier.
62. 643 Orange Street – Classic Revival Style – c. 1912
Notice the large brick columns, terra-cotta detailing and windows with diamond-shaped panes, all typical of the Classic Revival style. This residence was built by Dr. A. B. Hinkle as a four-unit apartment building, now converted to four condominiums.
63. 902 High Street – Late Victorian Style – c. 1907
For over 100 years this house remained in the Damour family. Notice the finely detailed gable window, eave brackets and expansive wrap-around porch. The rusticated stone supports are precursors of today’s concrete block.
64. 910 High Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1886
This two-story /Queen Anne style residence was built by Charles E. Damour who was in the real estate business. He later built the brick house at 902 High Street. The Damour family owned this house for over 100 years. It features shingle work in the gable and a delightful cut-work frieze, turned columns and geometric balustrade at the front porch.
65. 920 High Street – Greek Revival Style – c. 1878
Although there may have been an earlier house on this property, it appears that it was built on a portion of property purchased by Samuel S. Dunlap who built a larger residence for his family to the right of this house. He opened the first hardware store in Macon in 1866 and owned many properties in the College Hill and other areas of Macon.
66. 923 High Street – Classic Revival Style – c. 1880
Like many other late nineteenth century houses, the façade of this residence was altered about 1908 in the Classic Revival style. The impressive portico with Ionic columns, fine entry and balustrades are all typical of that style. At that time the walls were “plastered” to represent stonework. Notice the large magnolias which date from earlier than 1908. He house was built by William H. Burden who was president of the American National Bank.
67. 935 High Street – Greek Revival Style – c. 1840
This cottage, which was turned to face High Street c. 1879, was the birthplace of Georgia poet and musician, Sidney Clopton Lanier, in 1842. Originally the house featured a small stoop at the front door. Later changes included an altered roofline with front-facing gable and dormer windows, a porch across the front façade and fanciful Victorian bargeboard, balustrades and flat cut-work porch columns. Much of the Victorian detailing has since been removed to return the cottage to its simpler Greek Revival plan.
68. 938 High Street – Empire Style – c. 1877
This residence was built by S. S. Dunlap, president of Dunlap Hardware Company and vice-president of the Exchange Bank of Macon. He lived here until c. 1900. A later owner who purchased the property c. 1911 veneered the house with brick and expanded the front porch. Notice the mansard roofline, eave brackets and fine beveled glass at the front entry.
69. 962 High Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1882
This two-story residence was built for William Totten who was in the wholesale tobacco and liquor business. By the turn of the century a jeweler had purchased the property. The house features an expansive front porch with fine balustrade and columns with Doric capitals. The full-length windows provided access to the porch and additional air circulation before the advent of air conditioning.
70. 971 High Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1885
Built for Joe Wells, it was later owned by Gustavius Matthews, editor of the Macon Telegraph. Other owners include J. Ellsworth Hall, an attorney and then his son, Dr. John I. Hall. At one time Dr. White, minister at the First Baptist Church lived here with his family of seven sons. His only daughter, Mabel, died as a child. Mabel White Baptist Church is named for her. This house featured a wrap-around porch, double eave brackets and a Palladian-style window in the front gable.
70A. 996 High Street – Queen Anne Style – 1893
The Worsham family lived in this house for many years. Lee Worsham owned a grocery store on Poplar Street. It appears that the family built an additional house to the left of this residence c. 1915. The family then moved to the newer house and sold the corner house to Orman Daniel, a physician. Some changes have been made to both the façade and the rear of the house since its construction.
71. 1017 High Street – Italianate Style – c. 1877
This house was occupied until c. 1930 by three generations of the Hines family for whom it was built. Notice the eave brackets, finely detailed porch columns and balustrade and leaded glass at the front entry.
72. 1085 High Street – c. 1898
Constructed for the First Christian Church of Macon after a design by architect Alexander Blair III of Macon. Plans called for a tall belfry with spire at the left front and several smaller spires on the other towers. However these plans were changed prior to construction.
73 964 Magnolia Street – Greek Revival – c. 1875
Although the front façade has been modified, the residence still retains its front porch with decorative Victorian details. By the end of the nineteenth century this property was owned by Clyde Hoke, manager of the Macon Electric Company. The porch features cut-work columns, brackets and balustrade.
74. 972 Magnolia Street – Greek Revival – c. 1872
This is one of several Greek Revival cottages that are important to the character of Magnolia Street. Many of the houses were originally owned by Macon’s early downtown entrepreneurs who worked in wholesale groceries, drugstores and dry goods stores. This cottage, owned in 1872 by George Wright, a haberdasher, who worked for a wholesale grocer, remained in his family until c. 1947. It still retains its simple symmetrical plan with Greek Revival doorway and decorative Victorian details on the front porch.
75. 994 Magnolia Street – Greek Revival – c. 1875
This property was one of the lots sold by B. F. Ross, an early mayor of Macon to A. R. Tinsley as a “parcel of land” in 1873. It was owned for many years by the Stephens family and has retained its simple Greek Revival entry. The porch detailing was originally similar to the cottage at 972 Magnolia Street.
76. 1006 Magnolia Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1897
A one-story house was originally constructed on this lot and was replaced by the present residence c. 1897 when it was owned by Frank Chambers, an attorney with offices on Third Street in downtown Macon. His family lived here until c. 1916. The house features an expansive front porch, fine balustrade and shingle-work in the front-facing gable.
77. 1015 Magnolia Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1895
This cottage sits on a high foundation faced with rusticated stone blocks, forerunner of today’s concrete blocks. The half-story with Palladian-style window opening and shallow-pitched roof may have been added later. One of the first owners was George T. Beeland, a jeweler, who had a store at Second Street and Cotton Avenue.
78. 1030 Magnolia Street – Greek Revival Style – c. 1878
This property was once part of a larger tract purchased by the Ellis family in 1877. Although there may have been an earlier house on this property, the first reference in the Macon city directories to a resident at this location was in 1878 when Wesley deHaven, who was employed by J. W. Burke & Co., publishers and printers, lived here. Like many of the houses on Magnolia Street this residence was built on parts of two smaller lots which were narrower than those shown today. Notice the fine detailing on the porch with flat-cut columns, delicate spandrels and cut-work balustrade.
79. 1031 Magnolia Street – Queen Anne Style c. 1893
The fine detailing and textures on this house are typical of the Queen Anne style. The stamped metal roof, shingle work and vent in the front-facing gable, large red windows and a full front porch with balustrade all give this house a picturesque quality.
80. 1039 Magnolia Street – Craftsman Style – c. 1915
Note the wide eave overhangs and front facing gable giving shade to the front porch and second story windows. This house is similar in style and age to the residence at left and may have been constructed by the same builder.
80A. 1042 Magnolia Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1878
This property is part of a larger tract purchased by the Ellis family in 1877. Notice the finely detailed front porch balanced by an angular bay window to right of the entry.
81. 1047 Magnolia Street – Craftsman Style – c. 1908
Wide overhangs at the roofline with exposed rafters, triple windows, shallow arched openings on the front porch and strong horizontal lines typify the Craftsman style. The use of natural materials such as wood and stucco with little ornamentation was a reaction to the excesses of the Victorian period. One of the first owners of this house was W. B. Chapman, a tax collector.
82. 1052 Magnolia Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1889
This simple Queen Anne-style residence has well-detailed bracketed porch columns and balustrade and a diamond-shaped vent in the front-facing gable. One of the first owners was Zacariah Culver, who clerked for a cotton broker. In 1895 the house was advertised for rent for $9.00 per month as having comfortable rooms for a small family.
83. 1055 Magnolia Street – American Foursquare Style – c. 1912
In the nineteenth century this lot was part of the Tracy property which extended down Magnolia Street from Orange Street. In 1912 the rear portion of that property was subdivided into four lots on Magnolia Street. The American Foursquare style was popular from the late nineteenth century until World War II and was a reaction to the ornate Victorian style. It often incorporated Craftsman-style features as seen here, including exposed rafter ends, dormer windows, columns set on masonry or stone piers and paired or triple windows with diamond-shaped muntins in the upper sashes.
84. 1066 Magnolia Street – c. 1883
This brick structure was built to house the engines that pumped water from the nearby springs in Washington Park to a 90-foot tall water tower that was located in a park on Orange Street near the head of High Street. The new system allowed the houses on College Hill to receive city water for which residents were charged $20.00 per year. Three cisterns located behind the engine house, which had been constructed prior to 1880, held 150,000 gallons of water. The springs in the park supplied water for both downtown and the residences on the hill. This structure is now a private residence.
85. 1071 Magnolia Street – American Foursquare Style – c. 1915
Originally this property was part of the Tracy property which extended down Magnolia Street from the corner of Orange Street. When the property was subdivided this house was built in the American foursquare style with a tall, two and one-half story boxy shape, low-pitched roof and Craftsman-style exposed rafter ends. Other decorative elements include the paired columns on masonry piers, well-detailed upper windows sashes and front door with transom and sidelights.
86. 1088 Magnolia Street – Victorian Style – c. 1885
The flat-cut porch columns and spandrels give this charming cottage a picturesque quality. Notice the front-facing gable with a modern stained glass window and the well-detailed front door. Like many of the lots on Magnolia Street, this property originally extended to Washington Avenue.
87. 892 Cherry Street – Classic Revival Style – c. 1901
Temple Beth Israel was organized in 1859 and moved to this location from Second Street at Poplar at the turn of the century. This imposing building with a central dome, full portico, and stained glass windows anchors the eastern edge of the InTown residential district.
88. 265 Orange Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1887
The first owner of this house was George W. Burr who was associated with Georgia Flour Mills Company. Notice the fine detailing including the sunburst in the pediment above the front entry and the geometric design of the balustrade.
89. 273 Orange Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1880
An early owner of this residence was J. W. Cabaniss, owner of an insurance agency. The wrap-around porch features a balustrade with unusual pierced circular detailing.
90. 305 Orange Street – Late Greek Revival Style – c. 1870
Samuel G. Hunter, and attorney and captain of the Macon Volunteers during the Spanish-American War lived in this early house. It was the rectory for Christ Church in the 1920s when the doorway and porch railings were changed to their present configuration.
91. 306 Orange Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1880
Richard Lawton and his family were one of the early owners of this house. He was president of the Merchants National Bank of Macon. The wrap-around porch, bay window, multi-paned transom and asymmetrical floor plan are all typical of the Queen Anne style.
92. 315 Orange Street – Late Victorian style – c. 1909
William Marshall and his family were the first residents of this house. He was secretary-treasurer of the W. A. Doody Company in downtown Macon, a large dry goods and furniture store. The house features cylindrical columns with Ionic capitals, dentil moldings and exposed rafter tails at the roofline.
93. 337 Orange Street – Late Victorian Style – c. 1911
An earlier residence was located on this and the adjacent lot. It was demolished and the present house and its mirror image to the right were constructed early in the 20th century. The first owner of this house was Beverly B. Ford, a cotton merchant. The front porch features slender columns with Ionic capitals. Notice the beautifully detailed bay window at the left side.
94. 367 Orange Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1885
Walter R. Holmes, a dentist, lived here in the late nineteenth century. In 1908 the porch was enlarged at left when a left rear addition was built. Notice the delightful cupola and intricate design of the porch including flowerheads, shingle work and geometric detailing on the balustrade.
95. 373 Orange Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1903
The first owner of this residence was Leon Willingham who worked as a salesman for Calder B. Willingham, president of Willingham Cotton Mills. Notice the wrap-around porch supported by fluted columns with Ionic capitals and the well-detailed front doorway, all typical of the Queen Anne style.
96. 423 Orange Street – Late Victorian Style – c. 1904
A larger lot accommodated an earlier house which was demolished prior to 1904 when this residence and the one to its right were built. The first tenant was W. D. Griffith, a fire insurance agent. Gabriel Ludlow, superintendent of the Virginia Carolina Chemical Company also lived here. Notice the paired columns, bay window and fine latticework detailing in the pediment.
97. 437 Orange Street – Late Victorian Style – c. 1905
The first residents were Robert McKenney and his family. He was president and General Manager of the New Printing Company, publishers of the Macon News. The front porch features square columns with turned balusters. The high brick foundation at left was necessary because of the steep grade of Orange Street.
98. 916 Park Place – Arts and Crafts Style – c. 1915
This bungalow was built for Arthur L. Dasher Jr., an attorney whose parents lived at the corner of Orange Terrace and Park Place. Most of the property along this side of Park Place was once owned by the Dasher family. The house features sturdy cylindrical columns, stuccoed exterior and clustered windows, typical of the Arts and Crafts style.
99. 925 Park Place – Green Revival Style – c. 1863
This residence was built by Dr. Dudley W. Hammond, b. 1809, a surgeon who graduated from the Georgia Medical College in Augusta, Ga. Notice the fine eave brackets above the impressive portico.
100. 938 Park Place – Italianate Style – c. 1851
Built by James H. R. Washington, an early mayor of Macon, this house was originally located on College Street on the Washington Memorial Library property. It was moved to Park Place in the 1970s by the InTown Macon Neighborhood Association when the library expanded. It features delicate columns with pierced detailing, wirework balustrade and eave brackets typical of the Italianate style.
101. 941 Park Place – Queen Anne Style – c. 1870
This early Queen Anne style house with Italianate detailing was built by Dr. Dudley Hammond who lived in the property to right of this house. He gave it to his daughter Rosa in 1876 as a wedding present when she married Wiley J. Barnes. It has intricate detailing on the front porch, floor length windows and eave brackets, all of which add to its charm.
102. 954 Park Place – Queen Anne Style – c. 1875-80.
This delightful cottage was built by Earlsworth Crockett who lived to right of this property for his son, Oscar, who was an auditor with the Parker Railway News Company. Typical of the Queen Anne style are the bay window, finely detailed porch, dentil molding and the asymmetrical floor plan.
103. 955 Park Place – Italian Villa Style – c. 1865-70
The first owner was Alexander Speer, an attorney, congressman from Georgia before the war, major in the Confederate Army and elected to the Superior Court of Georgia in 1882. By l908 Robert Sheridan, president of T. C. Burke Company lived here. Originally the lot was larger and a portion was sold to build the house to left of this property. Notice the eave brackets, wrap-around porch and floor-length windows.
104. 961 Park Place – Late Victorian Style – c. 1915
This house was built for Edward A. Sheridan, a relative of Robert Sheridan who lived next door and subdivided his lot to allow for the construction. Edward Sheridan worked for the Dannenberg Company, a large dry goods store on Third and Poplar Streets in downtown Macon. Notice the paired columns on the wrap-around porch and well-detailed front entry.
105. 975 Park Place – Queen Anne Style – c. 1892
The first resident was William R. Ivey, a wood dealer at Bay and Elbert Streets in downtown Macon. John Burnett, who sold sewing machines, pianos and organs on Cotton Avenue, lived there c. 1908. There is fine applied detailing on the front porch frieze, supported by fluted cylindrical columns with Corinthian capitals.
106. 983 Park Place – Queen Anne Style – c. 1900
One of the early owners was Mrs. F. S. Dana, widow of Orlando Dana who was superintendent of printed at J. W. Burke Company in downtown Macon. The front porch features turned supports and a pedimented entry. Notice the small porch on the second floor.
107. 940 Orange Terrace – Queen Anne Style – c. 1888
The first owner of this house was Arthur L. Dasher Sr., an attorney with Jones & Dasher in downtown Macon. The Dasher family owned much of this block along Orange Terrace and Park Place. Typical of the Queen Anne style is the beautifully detailed wrap-around porch, the asymmetrical bay window and the fine doorway.
108. 1126 Bond St. – Queen Anne Style – c. 1887
It appears that this cottage may originally have been a rear one-story ell of a large house that sat at the corner of Orange and Bond Streets, facing Orange Street. That house was removed c. 1909 when the Coleman family purchased the property and commissioned Neel Reid to design the brick house that now sits at left of this cottage. It is understood that he also designed the façade of this house. The first reference to it in the Macon city directories is in 1912 when Mrs. Hilsman lived here. Notice the dormer windows enclosing fan lights and the pair of double French doors giving access to the front porch.
109. 501 College Street – Late Victorian Style – c. 1900
The first owner of this house was Cecil Morgan, Deputy Clerk of the U. S. Circuit Court, vice president of Commercial National Bank and General Manager of the Georgia Kaolin Company. Notice the charming balcony on the third floor and the rusticated stone foundation.
110. Park Place – Queen Anne Style – c. 1875
Earlsworth Crockett, a master machinist, built this finely detailed residence c. 1875. He founded Crockett Iron Works c. 1871 which later became Taylor Iron Works. Notice the beautifully carved and paneled front doors with carved rope detailing and the double eave brackets.
111. 953 High Street – Italianate Style – c.1869
The first owner was Virgil Powers who was Superintendent of the Southwestern Railroad, City alderman and a charter member of the Board of Education and Orphanage of Bibb County. Notice the fluted wood columns with Ionic capitals and double eave brackets. The French doors across the front were altered from the original full-length window sashes.
112. 963 High Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1885
Drewry R. Malone, a grocer and later a horseshoer, was the first owner of this property. In 1911 Mrs. M. L. Price, widow of former Mayor of Macon Sylvester B. Price, purchased the house. The front facade, which had featured a bay window and a one-story porch, was altered to its present configuration in the early 20th century, probably at the time Mrs. Price purchased the house. Notice the diamond-shaped detailing on the windows and front door.
113. 1105 Adams Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1887
The first owner of this house was J. B. Riley who was associated with Lamar, Taylor and Riley Drug Company. The central section on the second floor was originally an open porch. French doors now give access to the expansive wrap-around porch supported by pairs of cylindrical columns.
114. 1133 Adams Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1892
Adiel L. Adams, secretary/treasurer of the Adams Brothers Company, wholesale grocers, lived here with his family. The front porch, originally open, has been enclosed. Notice the original stamped tin roof and interesting latticework detailing.
115. 1147 Adams Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1892
The first resident was Edward Ryals, an attorney, whose family lived here until c. 1905. J. F. Sellers, dean of Mercer University and George Sparks, a professor at Mercer University were later owners. The expansive porch is supported by fluted columns wit Corinthian capitals.
116. 1163 Adams Street – Queen Anne Style – c. 1884
One of the earliest houses built to take advantage of the view of Tatnall Square Park. The first owner was William Taylor of Mallary & Taylor Ironworks. An example of the ironwork is seen on the second story. Note also the finely detailed porch frieze and balustrade.
117. 1177 Adams Street – Classic Revival Style – c. 1904
This house was built by Dr. Edward Hope. In the 1930s John L. Morris, manager of the Macon Chamber of Commerce, purchased the property. Note the Palladian-style window and the fine double-door entry.
118. 1205 Adams Street – Italianate Style – c. 1872
Originally a two-story residence, the house suffered extensive fire damage c. 1976 and was reduced to one story. It was built by William Hazlehurst, a banker. Note the fine framework on the window on the front porch, a reminder of the architectural detailing typical of the Italianate style.
119. 1223 Adams Street – Arts & Crafts Style – c. 1913
The first owner was Robert Pulliam, a professor at Mercer University. The lap siding outlining the front porch is typical of the Arts & Crafts style.
120. 1241 Adams Street – Tudor Revival Style c. 1922
Frank Elbridge Adams, secretary/treasurer of Taylor Iron Works was one of the first owners. Notice the half-timbering on the second story, typical of the Tudor Revival style.
121. 1560 Lawton Avenue – Late Queen Anne Style – c. 1905
This property was originally part of a large lot fronting on Adams Street, owned by William Hazlehurst. It was subdivided into two parcels c. 1905 when two houses with similar facades were built. Typical of the late Queen Anne style it has an asymmetrical plan with a finely detailed entry and wrap-around porch.
122. 1565 Lawton Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1900
The Rev. B. D. Ragsdale, a professor at Mercer University lived here at the turn of the century. Originally the front porch was set back at the right of the front entry where a bay window is now located.
123. 1580 Lawton Avenue – Late Queen Anne Style – c. 1905
The first resident of this house was Bennett Van Houten, Secretary-Treasurer of the Central Georgia Heating and Plumbing Company. This block of Lawton Avenue was formerly known as Bellevue Avenue and then Hazel Street.
124. 1606 Lawton Avenue – Queen Anne Style – c. 1892
This residence was home to Guy Hilsman, a bookkeeper in the late 19th century. He petitioned the city for improved trolley car routes to serve the Mercer and the Huguenin Heights area. Notice the finely detailed front porch that wraps around to face both Lawton and Linden Avenues.
125. 1609 Lawton Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1905
The first resident was Henry Spier, an engineer with the Georgia, Southern and Florida Railroad. When the house was built it was outside the city limits. Linden Avenue was known as Boundary Street.
126. 1623 Lawton Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1908
The first resident was Charles W. Johnson, who was associated with Merritt Hardware. This house features a full-width front porch with curved central section, all supported by six fluted columns with Corinthian capitals.
127. 1638 Lawton Avenue – Queen Anne Style – c. 1894
This charming cottage was built for Richard S. Thorpe who was owner of the Consumers Oil Company. The asymmetrical façade with a front-facing gable is typical of the Queen Anne style.
128. 1649 Lawton Avenue – Queen Anne Style – c. 1894
The first resident was Annie Griswold, a widow. Her husband, Charles Griswold, was a nephew of Col. Thomas Hardeman, a U. S. Congressman from Georgia. The full-width front porch with its spoolwork and slender columns gives shade to the front façade. Notice the twin gables above.
129. 1602 Rembert Avenue – Queen Anne Style – c. 1892
Charles Rhodes, chief clerk of the Georgia, Southern and Florida Railway, was one of the first owners. Notice the spoolwork, turned columns and balusters on the front porch.
130. 1605 Rembert Avenue – Queen Anne Style – c. 1903
Mrs. Mattie Hilsman, widow of Stokes Hilsman who was a traveling salesman, was the first owner. The front porch features quarter-round spandrels and full-length windows. A small second-floor porch provides fresh air to the bedrooms.
131. 1620 Rembert Avenue – Queen Anne Style – c. 1911
The first reference to this house is in 1911 when Albert D. Akin, a civil engineer was the owner. Notice the cylindrical columns on the balustrade porch and the front door with half-glass insert and transom above, all typical of the Queen Anne style.
132. 1621 Rembert Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1908
The first owners were Mr. & Mrs. Clarence Williams. He was a bookkeeper at S. R. Jacques & Tinsley Co., wholesale grocers. By 1917 Rev. Paul Weber, pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer lived here. The simple front porch is supported by cylindrical columns with molded detailing and a picket balustrade.
133. 1638 Rembert Avenue – Queen Anne Style – c. 1900
William B. Wood, a grocer and meat merchant on Cotton Avenue, was the first owner of this charming residence. The eave brackets, turned supports and diagonal detailing on the front porch all give it a picturesque quality.
134. 1639 Rembert Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1905
W. F. Holt, a conductor with the Central of Georgia Railroad lived here at the turn of the twentieth century. The simple detailing is typical of the Late Victorian style.
135. 1657 Rembert Avenue – Arts and Crafts Style – c. 2005
This twenty-first century house was built to be architecturally compatible with its neighboring historic buildings. The window detailing and porch columns resting on high plinths are typical of the Arts and Crafts style.
136. 1660 Rembert Avenue – Queen Anne Style – c. 1900
The first owner of this charming cottage was Asmon Deidria who owned a produce company. The full-width porch is supported by turned columns with a spoolwork frieze.
137. 1136 Linden Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1908
This residence which had major alterations to its front façade after 1960, was built as a duplex. The original façade featured on one-story full-width porch. One of the early residents was F. B. Gregory, a physician.
138. 1176 Linden Avenue – Late Queen Anne Style – c. 1903
Rev. J. G. Harrison, pastor of Tatnall Square Baptist Church lived here at the turn of the century. A later owner was Ellis H. Lafayette, a musician at the Palace Theatre on Cherry Street. The front porch originally wrapped around to the right side.
139. 1525 Coleman Avenue – Arts and Crafts Style – c. 1922
The first reference to a house on this property is 1922 when W. E. Farrar, dean at Mercer University, lived here. The shallow-pitched, front-facing gables with bracket detailing, casement windows and shingle walls are all typical of the Arts and Crafts style.
140. 1691 Coleman Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1908
James E. Yates, president of Jones Grocery Company on Fifth Street, was the first resident of this house which features an expansive front porch supported by cylindrical columns.
141. 1236 Johnson Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1912
Ira Teagle, a collector with the Macon Telegraph, and his family lived here in 1912. The house features a full-width balustrade porch with square columns. A small dormer window is centered on the hipped roof.
142. 1248 Johnson Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1912
William R. Goodyear, president of Goodyear Long Machinery Company on Broadway was the first owners of this residence. The roof is centered by a dormer with gabled roof all above a full-width balustrade porch with cylindrical columns.
143. 1268 Johnson Avenue – Queen Anne Style – c. 1909
This cottage, with an asymmetrical front-facing gable, wrap-around porch with cylindrical columns set on high brick piers, was built in 1909. The first resident was Frank S. Baskerville, a telephone operator. Since 1951, it has been owned by the Stroud family.
144. 1262 Linden Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1911
J. L. Miller, owner of Miller Cycle Company on Mulberry Street, lived here in 1911. The cottage features a hipped roof with central front-facing gable above a full-width porch supported by cylindrical columns.
145. 1259 Linden Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1903
Joseph Higginson, a letter carrier, and his family were the first owners of the house when the street was known as Boundary Avenue. The expansive wrap-around porch, double columns and central dormer are all typical of the late Victorian style.
146. 1585 Lawton Avenue – Queen Anne Style – c. 1897
William M. Ross, assistant clerk at City Court, lived here in the late nineteenth century. Notice the angular bay window, front door with stained glass inserts and expansive wraparound porch.
147. 1146 Appleton Avenue – Greek Revival Style – c. 1872
The first owner of this charming cottage was James E. Ellis of Ellis & Cutter, a company supplying building materials. Notice the typical Greek Revival doorway with sidelights and transom and the beautifully detailed front porch.
148. 1156 Appleton Avenue – Arts & Crafts Style – c. 1917
This residence was built as a duplex. Mary and Stephen Howard, manager of the James Kingman Lumber Company and Marion and Jesse Terry, manager of T. I. Harris, a loan company, were the first residents. Notice the front porches below a bracketed gable and a similar decorative gable above the front entry, typical of the Arts & Crafts style.
149. 1174 Appleton Avenue – Italianate Style – c. 1858-60
The first owner of this cottage was Oliver Porter, a farmer. Appleton Avenue was originally known as Short Street. This residence features a fine entry door, bracketed eaves and beautifully detailed front porch.
150. 1186 Appleton Avenue – Late Victorian Style – c. 1915
This residence was originally owned by Lena and Michel Bloch who ran the Bloch Hide Company. Notice the balustrade porches and exposed rafter tails, typical of the early twentieth century late Victorian style.
151. 1670 Lawton Avenue – Late Queen Anne Style – c. 1907
The first owners of this cottage were the Rufus Evans family. Mr. Evans was secretary/treasurer of Merritt & Co., wholesale grocers. Notice the turned columns on the wraparound porch, typical of the late Queen Anne style.
152. 1119 Adams Street– Late Victorian Style – c. 1910
This two-story residence was enlarged from a smaller one-and-a-half story cottage c. 1910 by the Storrs family who lived here for more than 50 years. Robert Storrs, an attorney, was clerk to the district attorney in Macon in the early 20th century. Note the clustered columns on high plinths and the exposed rafters, typical of the late Victorian style.
153. 478 Orange Street – Federal Style – c. 1870
The first owner of this house was Hattie Tracy, daughter of Edward Dorr Tracy of Macon. Originally the house has a full length front porch, a one-story room set back at the left side and two outbuildings at the rear.